Arithmetic Logic Unit
- Mathematical brain --> all computation
- Computer component that performs arithmetic and logical operations
- Arithmetic ops:
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc.
- Logical ops:
- Comparison of two values, etc.
- Logic gate functionality (AND, OR, etc.)
- Operates in words
- Have special storage units called registers
- Used to store intermediate values or special data
- Can compute things faster without having to interact with memory
Computer Science von Neumann Architecture