- Well-known practice
- Take a program --> maximize performance
- Modern programming has created incredibly slow programs
- Programming practices, tool chains, methodologies all add up
- Modern software is ~1000x slower than it should be
- What is performance-aware programming?
- Programming with the considerations of what makes software fast or slow
- Understanding how your decisions impact the software performance scale
- Does most of the work
- Takes in instructions and does some work
- How can we improve the performance of the CPU?
- Reduce the number of instructions
- Increase the speed instructions move through the CPU
- Over time, CPUs have gotten more complex and programmers have a less intimate understanding of how they work