- Discussing free will
- Questions to guide the reading
- What is Walter Stace's diagnosis of "the problem of free will"?
- What mistake does he think philosophers have been making?
- What criterion does he think we should use to determine the correct definition of a free act?
- How does this example involving word 'man' illustrate this view about defining terms?
- How does Walter Stace ultimately distinguish free vs unfree acts?
- What are some examples of each?
- Can you think of any example of acts that his definition would classify as free, but which we would ordinarily view as unfree?