Problem of Induction
- Philosophical question whether inductive reasoning (inductive argument) leads to knowledge
- Inductive logic can only provide a conclusion that probably true
- Most famous proposition by David Hume
- Are we justified in accepting the principle of uniformity of nature?
- There is no reason it is impossible for this principle to break down
- Using induction to prove the principle of uniformity of nature is circular
- Therefore not justified
- Questions posed by David Hume
- Are our ordinary standards of reasonableness themselves reasonable?
- Are our ordinary standards for induction reasonable?
- Are inductive arguments reliable?
- We lack justification for