Company Interview Questions
Growth and Priorities
- What's the biggest existential threat to this business? What are the things that keep you up at night?
- What are the most recent examples of things the company has tried and failed at?
- What are some key financial metrics that the company optimizes for?
- What are the top three customers that you've won, and the top three customers you've lost?
- Which companies does leadership admire and hope to emulate? Why?
- What area of the business would you say this company is behind on?
Culture and Values
- What's something that would only happen here but not at other organizations?
- How have you changed during your time here?
- When you've done your best work here, what about the culture has enabled you to do that?
- Has the company ever made a decision that prioritized its values over revenue?
Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion
- What initiatives has the company launched to improve diversity and inclusion?
- What is the title of the most senior underrepresented person at the company?
- What would 1:1s be like with my manager? What topics would we discuss?
- How do you personally learn how to be more inclusive? What's an example where these learnings changed the way you do your job?
- What common attributes have you found among successful employees vs those that aren't successful?
- What are the top reasons people have left the company on their own volition?
- What is something the company changed at the request of its employees that didn't originate from an exec?
- Tell me about the founding team's background and why you're tackling this problem.
- If I asked investors what they're worried about, what would they say?
- Who is on your speed dial for when things aren't going well with the business? Why them?
- What's the hardest piece of feedback you've received? Hardest given?
- What relative weight do you put on the way people work vs the work product they generate?
- How would your team describe you?
- How do you cultivate and foster individual contributor growth on the team?
- What could I have done better during the interview process?
Role and Responsibilities
- If after 12 months I've failed, where did we go wrong?
- What will separate someone who is good at this job from someone who is really stellar?
- Think back on a great experience you had with the last person who had this role. Why was it so great?
- WHat will my first 30, 60, and 90 days look like? Do you have an idea of the first problems you want me to help solve?
- How do you see this position evolving as the company grows?
Team Impact and Dynamics
- Talk me through a project that initially went off the rails that you're really proud of.
- Could you tell me about a time when a co-worker went out of their way to do something nice for a teammate?
- How does the team deal with two urgent projects with conflicting deadlines?
- Who owns the goals/decisions about what work needs to be done? What influence do I have towards the goals set?
- How could the team I'm joining be more impactful/deliver more value to the business?
- How long did the decision-making take with the most recent big decision?